No Public Utilities. Oh, no! What's a person to do? Think outside the box. What if . . . ?
No Artificial Refrigeration (Food/Drink alternatives): *
- Canned and/or dehydrated fruits, vegetables, meats, meals
- Powdered milk and canned/bottled/powdered drinks/juices
- Pre-packaged snacks that require no preparation (nuts, chips, crackers, cookies, etc.)
- Take advantage of cold outside temperatures (winter) for desired foods requiring refrigeration
See: Off-Grid Refrigeration & Food & Emergency, Long-term Food Storage
No Running Water (purification and ultra-conservative usage):
- Bring and/or collect (rain, streams) what is needed
- Bathing alternatives
- 12v pump or propane on-demand hot water heater used to transfer water from container to sink or shower
- Inside Toilet alternative (compost) - Use Toilet Paper as usual. Cover "deposit" with sawdust instead of flushing.
- Dish cleaning alternatives
- Hot water usage must be planned. It is prepared using a wood stove, propane stove or propane on-demand hot water heater
- Laundry cleaning alternatives
See: No Plumbing? No Problem!
No Public Electricity (power alternatives):
Being on the "grid" is generally considered to mean that one is connected to the electrical grid supplied by a local electrical provider. Today, labeling as "off grid can mean a whole bunch of things. Here are the top 3 questions we get on a regular basis about our alternative energy setup.
- Gas/Propane generator
- Solar/Wind collection to battery bank or self-contained devices (solar flashlight, etc.)
- 12 volt appliances and lighting
- Wood stove, propane or other sources of heat (staying warm)
See: No Power? No Problem!
- Carry a camping/hunting knife (or multi-tool) and whistle with you atalltimes. Will be provided if you don't have them.
- At night, keep a functional flashlight with you anytime you go outside. Will be available on-site.
- When exiting the cabin or hiking, be alert to possible wildlife activity (bear, coyote, etc.)
- Make noise to make your presence known & to avoid startling wildlife which will avoid humans when alerted
- Don't feed wildlife and don't leave any unsealed food outside
Food / Drink:
* Upon prior request, alternative food accommodations can be made for visitors who are unaccustomed to off-grid living conditions mentioned in the "No Artificial Refrigeration" section above.
- Promptly dispose of ALL trash in appropriate, sealed, trash containers (inside and outside).
Toilet Use (see "Toilet alternative" above):
- Women: Unrestricted
- Men: #1 only, outside and away from structures. #1 with #2 - unrestricted.
- All: Nighttime or inclement weather - unrestricted.
- Bring pillow and sleeping bag or bedding - Clean, on-site items are available when requested prior to visit.
- 3-4 Loft (floor) or 1 top bunk (single) bed or 1 bottom bunk (double) bed positions are available (foam or air matresses included)
- 1 folding cot is available
Smoking, Vaping & Chewing Tobacco Use
- Use is acceptable outside and at least 50 feet, downwind, from any structure
- Lighted products must be extinguished with water before discarding to prevent forest or structural fire
- Coolers, with drain spouts or leaks, are not allowed in the cabin
- During the course of your visit, please make note, and advise owner, of anything that needs to be replenished or repaired