Beyond Existing - Actual Survival
A lot of emphasis seems to be put on survival products and building a storehouse of stuff for an emergency. If you can't find something (not to mention multiple variations on the same theme), you're not even trying to look. But, what happens when your storehouse is used up and bare? Learning one or more survival skills, for use in selling or bartering
, will come in handy.
This posting is focused on what you can't get in the store - Experience! When these skills are learned, self-reliance, selling to others or bartering
are the byproducts. This posting will be updated as new stuff emerges and, of course, there are many other references on the web. When possible, document (vs. video or specific product) links are provided so you can print and compile a personalized survival manual
that makes sense to you. Some of these links provide other resources on the topic and then there are the sub-topic "shout-outs" that can be researched independently. There are a lot of "survival manuals" out there but are they actually useful to what you want to know or as comprehensive as you would like? This is, by no means, the end-all or be-all of how to do stuff. The intent is to encourage thinking beyond the store-bought, and maybe temporary, survival solutions. If you browse this and similar blogs, you have the potential and interest to be self-reliant BEFORE that day comes. So, learn to be self-reliant; the alternative is being one of the hoards of victims/users/takers that will exist, and may be knocking on your door, when a disaster happens.
- Stay in good physical shape. Diet, exercise and staying away from smoking, drinking and drugs are your first-line defenses to survive a disaster situation.
- Be prepared. Document an emergency plan. At the very least, build a 72-hour Emergency Kit.
- Develop intuition (gut feelings) instead of relying only on rational thinking.
- Develop a survivor personality (flexible, cool-headed, don't give up, accept mistakes and move on). Be adaptable and flexible to change, even in your emergency plan. Life itself is already unpredictable. An emergency will only make things less stable and predictable.
- Build personal survival relationships based on moral and upright principals and character and not on their skillset or what they have. People without morals and upright principals will abandon or turn against you.
- Expand your information sources to different opinions (than what you may like to hear), news broadcasts (foreign and domestic) and cultures
- Learn First Aid
- Learn self-defense
- Secure your premises
- Take a hands-on, practical, basic survival course or go camping and hiking regularly. Occasionally get away from your creature-comforts zone. Know how to build a fire, how to build a primitive shelter, how to find water and how to purify water.
- Learn the "Universal Plant Edibility Test"
- Identifying, gathering and preparing Wild Edible Plants for food
- Learn Ham Radio Operations
- Gardening: Soil, Aeroponics, Hydroponics
- Produce your own electricity without the use of fossil fuels: Solar - Wind - Water (Hydro)
- Staying Warm in the Winter and Cool in the Summer - Naturally
- Hunting, Trapping and Preparing animals (rural and urban) for food
- Soap making from scratch with fat and lye
- Making Ethanol to use as fuel in combustion appliances (after modification), beverage (moonshine), antiseptic or deodorant
- Make your own Personal Care Products
- Making natural Yeast
- Making your own Antibiotics from plants or Medical cures or treatments from Colloidal Silver
- Food Canning and Preservation
- Entertainment and Fun Stuff - Survival doesn't always have to be work. More fun stuff
- Learn how to make your own weapons from common items
- Reloading ammunition
- If you own or want a firearm, take a personal/home defense firearms training class and not just a class that only shows you how to shoot.
Add to this list by Contacting Us (use the top menu link)
25 Native American Survival skills
31 Survival Skills for the True Outdoorsman
Bad Habits that WILL NOT Help You During an Emergency
5 Bad Habits That Will Kill You
Enduring Pain with No Medicine