There are methods to prevent structures from igniting during Wildfires. Embers (fire brands), from the larger fire, are the cause of fire reaching the house. Dry and flammable items are ound the house are the fuel that the embers ignite to bring the fire against the structure.
- Separate the structure (residence and out-buildings) from potential fire areas, by at least 100 feet.
- Remove dead, dry leaves, pine needles and other dry flammable materials from around the house, the roof and rain gutters.
- Keep lawn/grass trimmed down.
- Use fine-mesh, metal screens to cover roof vents to prevent embers from entering the attic.
- Acquire fire-retardent lawn/deck furniture/cushions.
- Keep 100 feet garden hose attached to external water faucet.
- Keep chimney cleaned. Install Spark Arrestor.
- Avoid outdoor burning; recycle, compost and mulch instead.
- Keep trees 30-100 feet away from home.
- Keep other strucures, firewood and fuel supplies and burnable materials at least 30 feet away from home.
- Thin and prune evergreen trees/bushes.